Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA) - how to get there map

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Sven van Roij
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: Military & Helo's
Subscriber Scramble: Sven van Roij

Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA) - how to get there map

Post by Sven van Roij »

Hi y'all!

Last years I visited the SPTA several times. For me, as an helicopter enthusiast, it is like heaven! Some time ago Iwan asked me for some more information about how to get there. As more people may want to visit this area, I thought I could share this information. It really is a B-E-A-utiful scenery to shoot in!

How to get there?
The Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA) is a large training area for all UK defense components. The first time I visited this place, I drove my car on a active site (opposite to land that I will discribe below). This turned out to be an active training village, where (practice) ammunition was shot around. I was kindly requested to drive away...QUICKLY :wink: .

The place where you should be is the crossing of Chitterne Road with Road Shrewton (on B390) ( coordinates: +51° 11' 23.69", -1° 58' 18.62"). Coming from the East to the West, thus driving from Chitterne Road toward Shrewton Road you get to the first tank crossing. Keep on driving and follow the road untill you cross the second tankcrossing. Turn right, into the tankcrossig (towards the mentioned training village) park the car in the grass, on the righthand side you'll find there is enough space.

Then you cross the road to the 'climb' towards the SPTA. You'll find several hills behind each other, note; the road is winding a bit. In the distance you'll eventually see several signs standing in a row, on a hill side. This is the 'active airstrip'. When arrived on top of the hill, and nothing flies in the circuit, you are allowed to cross the strip. This way you will have the sun in the back. Note; stand inbetween the signs on the other side and wear a high-vis jacket: safety first folks! Enjoy your stay :D

To make it more clear, I made a map covering the area:

I made this video a while ago, it gives an impression of the area

And some photo-impressions:

Hope to see your pics soon :)

Regards,
Sven van Roij
MADFOX
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: MADFOX

Re: Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA) - how to get there

Post by MADFOX »

:scramble: Thanks Sven.
KIER
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by KIER »

NOTE ; you are only reffering to the place ;Deptford Down.

There are much more places they use for training with helicopters.

Kier
Sven van Roij
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Sven van Roij »

KIER wrote:NOTE ; you are only reffering to the place ;Deptford Down.

There are much more places they use for training with helicopters.

Kier
True! More information can be found here by the way: http://www.warplane.co.uk/Salisbury.htm
wizard 51
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by wizard 51 »

I havent and dont no any one else who has arked there Sven and then had to cross the strip.
Why dont you just park on the corner and walk up the byway?

cheers Rich
Sven van Roij
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Sven van Roij »

wizard 51 wrote:I havent and dont no any one else who has arked there Sven and then had to cross the strip.
Why dont you just park on the corner and walk up the byway?

cheers Rich
Hi Rich,

I tried to do so the first time, but was not allowed to drive up. Since then I park my car at the grass field and walk up the hill.

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”