quick links / active topics

ImageImageHere you will find messages from the Scramble Administration and Editorial Team. Please read them! You can also leave any comments or suggestions about this Message Board, the Scramble website or the magazine.

Forum rules
ImageImage
Richard from Rotterdam
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

quick links / active topics

Post by Richard from Rotterdam »

Hello forum webmaster team.

Question: would it be possible to change the quick links hamburger in such a way that we can somehow see active topics per sub-board, or de-select some sub-boards?

I'm sure I am not the only struggling to find the latest posts in the Movements Netherlands section between the daily flood of Thailand movements etc. All Thai spotters will be very happy to their airports represented with ADSB logs, but for the local Dutch spotters I somehow seem to miss the relevance.

I am clearly not an IT expert but I hope you guys can somehow come up with a genius solution? :worship:

Thanks in advance!

Richard.
michel N
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: MN

Re: quick links / active topics

Post by michel N »

https://www.scramble.nl/community/messa ... restaurant

Same issue, addressed a few years ago
flown in: Things with wings
Richard from Rotterdam
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Three years later still relevant then.

Not wanting to take away the joy of Addeur Noir of posting all these ADSB logs, an idea would be to make some sort of workaround available. it was suggested 3 years ago in the topic you are referring to but it has clearly not been on a priority list to provide feedback on a successful or unsuccessful solution.
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Hi Richard (hope you are well :good: ) and others,

My impression was that the previous topic made it clear this matter is not an issue to us (the moderators), at all. The page that theguide linked to did not show an option to enable users to select from which subforums they want to see the active topics. If anyone knows of a phpBB setting that does make this possible, please let us know.

We are always willing to better accomodate our users, even if we find something a non-issue ourselves which is the case here, as explained. Once again, that wouldn't stop us from implementing a handy option of course, au contraire. But we are happy if all of the board's standard functions still work after a major website update, so we are definitely not going to fiddle around with 3rd party tricks for whatever reason.

Ergo: if phpBB has the option,we will gladly use it - if not, then keep using your spotters' data scanning skills to view the topics of your liking, folks!

Cheers,
Erik
What four words, Jimmy!?!
Wildpicture
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: F5 Military

Post by Wildpicture »

Richard from Rotterdam wrote: 26 Jun 2024, 12:44 Not wanting to take away the joy of Addeur Noir of posting all these ADSB logs, an idea would be to make some sort of workaround available. it was suggested 3 years ago in the topic you are referring to but it has clearly not been on a priority list to provide feedback on a successful or unsuccessful solution.
It would be so great if there was an option to just ignore (and not show) all the postings by a certain user. I am quite fed up by having to navigate all these Thai postings each day to find some interesting news.
Can't that guy just get his own forum or a subforum which the rest of us can then ignore???
michel N
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: MN

Post by michel N »

Wildpicture wrote: 27 Jun 2024, 16:22 It would be so great if there was an option to just ignore (and not show) all the postings by a certain user. I am quite fed up by having to navigate all these Thai postings each day to find some interesting news.
Can't that guy just get his own forum or a subforum which the rest of us can then ignore???
I appreciate this post :)
flown in: Things with wings
skippyscage
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: photographer

Post by skippyscage »

it's hardy a chore to just skip past the posts you don't like - I find those posts interesting personally
Richard from Rotterdam
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Hi Erik,

I am well and I hope you are as well of course mate! 😃

It’s not the answer many site users were hoping to hear obviously but if there isn’t a viable compromise available then that’s an answer as well of course! 😆 Cheers for the response, we’ll have to keep on sifting through all these posts then.
Richard from Rotterdam
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

skippyscage wrote: 27 Jun 2024, 17:09 it's hardy a chore to just skip past the posts you don't like - I find those posts interesting personally
Frankly it is a chore and by the sound of it Addeur Noir has at least one fan! Plus the site moderators who are fine with the posts. Well have to make do in the mean time, like we have been doing for many years.
falcx
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by falcx »

Richard from Rotterdam wrote: 28 Jun 2024, 01:23
skippyscage wrote: 27 Jun 2024, 17:09 it's hardy a chore to just skip past the posts you don't like - I find those posts interesting personally
Frankly it is a chore and by the sound of it Addeur Noir has at least one fan! Plus the site moderators who are fine with the posts. Well have to make do in the mean time, like we have been doing for many years.
Same here, I appreciate all logs sent through , ADSB version's or even not current logs nearly one year later.

Kind Regards.
Krazy
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: F3

Post by Krazy »

I was looking into the phpBB possibilities. From what I can see, the only way to be able to do something in the lines of the requested functionality is to create an extension. That in itself can create extra maintenance work if you upgrade, because it can stop working then.
Creating the extension is not that difficult, but I couldn't find decent ways to store the preferences everybody has.

If you really want the option without using phpBB extensions, you could take a look at things like tampermonkey. This is a browser extension, where you can create your own scripts. If you link it to the specific 'new posts' page, it could filter posts from the html page, so you will never see them.
skippyscage
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: photographer

Post by skippyscage »

Same here, I appreciate all logs sent through , ADSB version's or even not current logs nearly one year later.

Kind Regards.
the things is, you may think any log is useless to you at this time, but in the future you never know what you'd like to see in particular, especially if you visit that area of the world
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Wildpicture wrote: 27 Jun 2024, 16:22 I am quite fed up by having to navigate all these Thai postings each day to find some interesting news.
Nobody is forcing you. You do have to play by our basic rules here but you are violating them. The only reason I leave those comments in is for the sake of this discussion, that we are open to as always.
Richard from Rotterdam wrote: 28 Jun 2024, 01:19 I am well and I hope you are as well of course mate! 😃
Yep, thanks pal!
Thank you too, Krazy for further investigating and Skippyscage for additional perspective.

Now that the whole spectrum of opinions has been reviewed once again, let's stick to updates in phpBB functionality in this respect - should there be any - for the rest of this thread.

Edit:
Perhaps I should elaborate a little more. The very aim of this message board is to share spotting-related information so the last thing we want is to limit anyone's ability to do so (provided no rules are being broken). At the same time, we do strive for the best 'user experience' but that is limited to our management of topic titles, subforum choices et cetera. All phpBB functions that we know of, seem useful and work within the framework of the Scramble website are active. Should there be an option, either new or existing, that we might add then please let us know.

Cheers,
Erik
What four words, Jimmy!?!

Return to “Messages from & to Scramble”