Radio ignorant

ImagePost your military communication topics here.

Moderator: joost

Forum rules
squid
Scramble Newbie
Scramble Newbie
Type of spotter: Photograph it, a serial is just paint to brighten
Subscriber Scramble: no

Radio ignorant

Post by squid »

I am thinking of getting a walkie talkie set to be able to reach my significant other while being together in airshows in foreign countries where i will be on one edge of the airfield and she probably on the other resting under some shadow, to avoid the insane roaming costs.

- Is that allowed in air bases / air shows ?
- Is there some mess possibility maybe with the various service frequencies around? and how to avoid that?

Any input is welcomed. Never used or owned a radio set before. Given that they are allowed in Air bases / air shows ofcourse.

Thanks
Nick
Flyboy
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: F4
Subscriber Scramble: Flyboy

Re: Radio ignorant

Post by Flyboy »

Commercial available handsets are no problem in general as these operate on different frequencies. One sees the same in amusementparcs around Europe. Beware that the reach of these sets is not very good and other people may be on the same frequency.

The frequencies used by the military are out of reach for the normal commercial handsets and the available power (via the antenna) is also not very high, so I wouldnot expect a problem from the technical point of view.

In general I would think that if the Greece military would not have a problem with it, you would not expect a problem elswhere....
But maybe someone in the airshow scene can shine his light over it? (Ed, John, Eric?)

Return to “Radio Activity”