Airshow in Malaysia - LIMA 09 on Langkawi Island

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Lord_Manhammer
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: Yes

Airshow in Malaysia - LIMA 09 on Langkawi Island

Post by Lord_Manhammer »

"Tropical Thunder"

Many extraordinary stories are told about jungles in Far Malaysia: from snakes, tigers, geckos and weird ghosts.
But the most extraordinary story is about the small aeronautic exhibition on the cosy island of Langkawi.
The jungles’ hum, buzz and rustle make way every two years in the beginning of December for rattle and screech of propellers and jet engines.

Langkawi... the little Island in the North West left hand from the border to Thailand.

The question if the Langkawi International Maritime & Aerospace Exhibition compares with a real exhibition is –at least for the aerial part- disputable.
Because neither civil nor military businesses took part in daily flight performances, in static nothing indicated big world premiere.
But the airshow was great; at least for us, local spotters seemed to be a bit disappointed about the program.
No, indeed! We weren’t disappointed although the flying lasted only approx. 90 minutes twice a day.
In consideration of the participants disillusionment would have been misplaced.
Each time three Malaysian MiG-29N made the beginning.
For the last time because the Smokey Bandits will be retired by the end of 2010 so we won’t shoot them again.

However, the Royal Malaysian Air Force got a brand new MB-339CM; its official delivery took place during LIMA. This might be the reason for the cautiously performed display.

After the host country’s PC-7 Mk II the jungles’ mistress developed her wings: SU-30 MkM! What an awesome display! Powerful, loud and dynamic, completely after our fancy!

Afterwards followed the part of foreign participants; starting with F-16 C/D and AH-64D Longbow Apache from Singapore.
Both were much-loved by the spectators, probably because of the presenter’s brilliant statements like “Malaysia and Singapore, together in friendship” which won them over.

Singapour Team

Smoke ON Singapour F-16

Then we saw the reason that justified our long journey: The Aardvark, an F-111C of the Australian Air Force, rose to a display.
Nice to see the pretty beast once again up in the sky, nevertheless, also this legend will be retired after 40 years of working hours in the RAAF!
On the island of Langkawi this old Lady showed again what she’s made of.
Especially the one and only dump & burn demonstration, where kerosene is burned off in the jet blast, sent us into rapture.
For sure that was a highlight in our spotter life...

Yeeah from here comes the "Fire"

Cockpit

Tanks...!

The final of flying displays was reserved to a CL-415 MP of Malaysian Maritime Enforcement. A crisp flown, extremely photogenic performance with double water drop (each time more than 6,000 liters!).

For every display unit hundreds of people congregated around the airport. Many used the opportunity for an extensive picnic with the whole family;
from granny up to toddler every generation was present. All that in a heat which burned off our epidermis and every slug of Tiger beer horrified our bloodstream. Extremely strange!

A particularly popular observation point was a hill near the airport from which took pictures the first day as the only Europeans far and wide in company of palms and giant beetles!
Also extremely strange!
During hours we stood at the fence we got into conservation with many people, especially for the children we were a big attraction. We had a lot of fun!

Dauphin 2

Every day we had a lot of Hercs there.

This F-5 get brand new Photoequipment just some months before.

Malaysia + Pilatus

Bomba

On Langkawi is also an big Policeschool.

Some civil stuff

I love the palmtrees in the background.

If you like to see more Pics from the Su-30 or F-111
just visit our Website. You can find there an big flash gallerie.
In Scramble No. 369 you can also find an short Showreport with all Regs (Page 94&95)

Our Pauli

Jens
(Text: Sascha & Nicole)
My Aviation photos
Jet Noise...
SquAdmin
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Re: Airshow in Malaysia - LIMA 09 on Langkawi Island

Post by SquAdmin »

Excellent shots! And I liked reading the report :)
Greetz,

Patrick
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by ehusmann »

Indeed, nice to see and read! Very lucky to get the MiG and Pig before their retirement.

Erwin
warthog64
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Nope
Location: Woudenberg. the Netherlands. 52O 05'02,5"N 5O 24'40,4"O

Post by warthog64 »

love the 'aardvark' shots!
WH64
___│ØoØ│___
Some things up!
TAZZ
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by TAZZ »

Great job!

I specially appreciated the pics of the MiG-29s and Su-30s.

Thanks for sharing

:respect:
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Great actions shots, another very nice report!

Erik
What four words, Jimmy!?!
Arjan
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: S4
Subscriber Scramble: Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Wow very, very nice shots! Interesting Migs and Sukhoi. And that Tigereye is really an exclusive breed!

My wishlist for the Dutch Open Days have expanded again ! :shock:
Scramble member since 1990
Rico
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by Rico »

Thanx 4 the nice full report and very stunning pics.
Good work Lord!
"And than in the trees I heard a twig snap ... warning lights flashed on my map ... I opened my eyes and to my surprise ..."
Maarten
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by Maarten »

Awesome shots!! and great report.
Although I think that there are even better shots at your website that you did not show here at scramble! :P especially the 'Aardvark' shots!

Greetings
Maarten Uittenbogaard
Lord_Manhammer
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: Yes

Post by Lord_Manhammer »

Maarten wrote:Awesome shots!! and great report.
Although I think that there are even better shots at your website that you did not show here at scramble! :P especially the 'Aardvark' shots!

Greetings
Maarten Uittenbogaard
Need some 'Aardvark' Photos... here we GOOO!

Next generation "Spotter":

Me... bought fried chicken from local cuisine.

Our Pauli on one of the new MBB

Pauli and the Malayian kids... a never ending stoy.

Thanks to all for your nice comments and the good feedback. :worship:
My Aviation photos
Jet Noise...

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”