REQ: info spotting at Ghedi and Piacenza

ImageLogs and news on European airfields outside the Benelux, Germany, Ireland and the UK.

Forum rules
Piet Luijken
Subscriber Scramble: Piet Luijken

REQ: info spotting at Ghedi and Piacenza

Post by Piet Luijken »

Next month I will be around Milano.

Looking at the Order of Battle for Italy, I found these fields to be close to this city, but I have never been here, so...

Who has info on the spotting conditions?
What is the better of these two fields?

Of course, a Airfield Guide will be prepared afterwards.

Thanks!
Greetings,

Piet Luijken
Scramble Editor
Thijs
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: Thijs

Post by Thijs »

Hey Piet

When I look at the pictures posted in the below forum, it looks the opportunities are good. Maybe you can post your question there

http://italy-mil-aviation.forumfree.net/?t=21482898

Have fun over there!
Assume makes an ASS of U and ME.
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by ehusmann »

It has been a loooong time since I have been at Piacenza (and only once I must say), but I can remember finding a very nice spot near the approach. Looking at Google Earth ( 44°54'26.39"N 9°44'30.39"E ), it must have been the eastern approach and it is very open. You can see most of the base from there and also any approaching planes.
Back in those days however, the biggest problem of Piacenze was actually finding the place..... as it is located quite a distance from the city, away from the big roads and badly signposted. But, with GE, GPS and such that must be a little easier these days.
Ghedi I have never been too, but in the days of the Turkish F-16's, there were many pictures of those, so there must be some possibilities.

Erwin
SquAdmin
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by SquAdmin »

Yep, there's a spot in the approach. Just follow the road along the fence and you can actually park your car next to the approach lights, at the end of a corn (?) field. If I remember correctly, there's a hotel a little bit further down this road.

Like Erwin already mentioned, the airbase is not close to the city. Although I've never been to Ghedi, I'd prefer it over Piacenza...
Greetz,

Patrick
tonno1970
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by tonno1970 »

Ghedi is much better base then Piacenza for traffic. Piacenza has not much activities even if you have nice photo opportunities from outside.

Ghedi is good only in the afternoon (sun on your back) so in winter time you have not much time to take pictures.
The spot squadmin indicated is correct but here you are very close to the fence and meteo station and they see you and it is very easy police comes out.
There is another spot just some 200 meters on the right of this place but to reach it you must turn right just after crossing the railway taking this small road. At the end of this road you must turn left end go towards the old military weapons station. Just passed trough you can park (pls pay attention where you park) and walk a little bit on your left. You'll see the base and also the spot near the fence from here but you are hided from base and it's safer.

Ghedi is a very strange base with local police... Sometimes you have not problem, sometimes they ask you to leave..

Remember to hide the scanner in Italy....

Here a photo I took some years ago in wintertime from this spot:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0809689/L/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope this help

GP
Piet Luijken
Subscriber Scramble: Piet Luijken

Post by Piet Luijken »

thanks for all the help.
Ghedi it will be!

Log and guide will follow.

greetings
Greetings,

Piet Luijken
Scramble Editor
Basman
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Yes

Post by Basman »

Hi Piet,

I don't know if you're after pictures, numbers or both. If it's numbers (and maybe some exotic ones too...) don't forget to include Varese-Venegono (aermacchi factory and maintenance) and Vergiate (Agusta final assembly and testflying). I was there last april and had 3 Nigerian MB339's at Varese and several A129 and a Chilean and Swedish A109 at Vergiate. Both fields are good for spotting but I don't know how they feel about photography. Both are not far from each other, and Vergiate is practically a must if you're flying to/from Malpensa, as it's just a few km's away. Arnold ten Pas is working on a guide of Varese for one of the next Scramble issues, but I can give you some hints if you intend to go there.

Bas van Oorschot

Return to “Spotting Rest of Europe”