Malta Aviation Museum

ImageImageForum for all "old aircraft" related news, background, discussions and research.

Forum rules
ImageImageForum for all news, background, discussions and research on vintage aircraft, warbirds and wrecks & relics (stored, preserved, dumped etc). Actual logs -especially those of active airfields- are preferred to be posted in the appropriate Spotters forums.
Robin
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Malta Aviation Museum

Post by Robin »

While out in the Mediterranean recently had the chance to undertake a quick view of the Malta Aviation Museum.

Be warned anyone visiting this museum it has a LOT of airframes sections in bits (not all together, but spread around), in various locations on the site. While the main hangers it is easy to log airframes serial, the many sections are not so easy to log (especially if you are on a tight timescale). While the museum staff are very helpful, often they do not have full information of where airframe section are located on site, or the serials, especially items not owned by the museum.

At the museum there was two Sioux AH.1 helicopter's, one being coded "D" (both ex UK AAC), and a UH-1, and a complete Bell 204B "SAR" (stripped down to metal, and stripped of equipment and ID), which was said to be ex 15 Stormo (Italian).

All three airframes were said to belong to a French man, and I was advised that all three would be transferred to France in 2017. As these airframes were not owned by the museum, they did not know the serials of them..

Due to time pressure I ran out of time trying to find the booms of the ex Army Air Corp Sioux's.

Any offer on the serials of these three airframes (2 ex AAC Sioux's and Bell 204B ?????

In fact a complete list of the stored or dismantled aircraft at this museum would me most welcome
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Re: Malta Aviation Museum

Post by ehusmann »

Yes: http://www.spottingmode.com/wro/location/6446/
MM80303/1-03 3056 AB.204B Italy Air Force Preserved Under restoration.
XT133 1544 Sioux AH.1 United Kingdom Army Preserved Under restoration.
XT550/D WA439 Sioux AH.1 United Kingdom Army Preserved
All three figured out by a very trusted contributor after some on site and online research.

Erwin
Robin
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Post by Robin »

Many thanks "ehusmann" for your reply.

I must say I was very surprised, that the small section with the serials of Sioux helicopter, that I could not find, while the rest of the airframes including the full booms very clearly visible on-site. It was suggested to me by one of the aircraft restorers, that these maybe located at the home of the owner, as we even checked in some of the big cupboard's on site.

Again with AB-204B I could not even find the c/n plate on this very stripped down machine, but at this stage I was running out of time.

I note that you friend had "figured" them out, therefore I assume he had the same problem as I did.

Once again many thanks, it is most appreciated.
Wrecks
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Wrecks »

ehusmann wrote:Yes: http://www.spottingmode.com/wro/location/6446/
MM80303/1-03 3056 AB.204B Italy Air Force Preserved Under restoration.
XT133 1544 Sioux AH.1 United Kingdom Army Preserved Under restoration.
XT550/D WA439 Sioux AH.1 United Kingdom Army Preserved
All three figured out by a very trusted contributor after some on site and online research.
Erwin
Are you sure about these serials?
As far as I know the 2 parked next to each with no booms are XT175 and XT550/D.
XT133, still with boom attached, is parked elsewhere outside.
For the benefit of Mr. Kite, there will be a show tonight on trampoline

Return to “Vintage, warbirds and wrecks & relics”