spotting info / request Hawaii, Idaho & Oregon

ImageLogs, tripreports and news from Canada and the USA. Civil and military jointly in one forum.

Forum rules
Flanker
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F4
Subscriber Scramble: yes

spotting info / request Hawaii, Idaho & Oregon

Post by Flanker »

planning to visit a.o. above-mentioned States in 2015.

Anybody info on the spotting possibilities at :
Hickam AFB HI,
MCAS Kaheohe Bay HI,
Gowen Field ID
Mountain Home ID and
Portland OR ?

rgds
Coert
jreijmer
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F1
Subscriber Scramble: Jeroen van Reijmersdal

Re: spotting info / request Hawaii, Idaho & Oregon

Post by jreijmer »

I posted some info on spotting in Hawaii on the yahoo group MSF a couple of years ago. If you can't find it please let me know.

Jeroen

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
f84thunder
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie
Type of spotter: photographer

Post by f84thunder »

At Boise/Gowen field, on the east side S. Orchard St. there used to be a area just next to the fence where you could photograph the aircraft landing on runways 10L/10R. If ruways 28 where in use the airact are a bit high. I last visited in 2010.
Melchior Timmers
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Melchior Timmers

Post by Melchior Timmers »

Hickam has some good spots on the East side of the airport.
Kaneohe Bay is difficult without a visit.
Melchior Timmers
Editor Scramble Magazine
-----------------------------------------
PO Box 75545
1118 ZN Schiphol
The Netherlands
E-mail: melchior.timmers@scramble.nl
Internet: http://www.scramble.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jreijmer
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by jreijmer »

Melchior Timmers wrote:Hickam has some good spots on the East side of the airport.
Kaneohe Bay is difficult without a visit.
But not impossible!

Jeroen
Stefan
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Flanker wrote:Hickam AFB HI,
MCAS Kaheohe Bay HI,
Gowen Field ID
Mountain Home ID and
Portland OR ?
Been to Hickam and Kaneohe in 2012; Hickam is not too bad, Kaneohe is difficult but visited the air show only so no definite answer on the outside situation.

Been to the other 3 in 1995; been a while, can only recall 'good' or 'bad' without details;
Gowen = good
Mountain Home = bad
Portland = good

Regards,
Stefan
Flanker
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Flanker »

thanks for the input guys.

Jeroen, have tried to find the info you posted in regard to spotting in Hawaii on the yahoo group MSF.
Unfortunately, without success :(
Can you maybe share it here ?

Melchior / Stefan, can you be a bit more specific on the spots at Hickam please ?

thx
Coert
jreijmer
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by jreijmer »

Here you go:

Was there also in 2006. Came in with the morning flight of Go Airlines from Maui. Luckily western approach was used and I was sitting on the left hand side of the a/c. On the left hand side of the a/c you have clear views of all platforms. I was able to capture most of the traffic (D2H those days) so limited performance pixel wise. Else I would have been able to log all a/c on the platform. So bring your camera along and click away. I used the 80-200 lens. Shortly before touchdown you pass the QRA sheds also on the lefhand side with Eagles (in those days) tails sticking out. On the righthans side I think you'll find the flightline with the sheds. No idea as I was on the RH side.

Once landed best place to go is the parking garage descibed previously. Go to the top floor and you'll have some views of Hickham. Not the best, but with at good scope you can read a/c. I was there late afternoon before my flight back, so I had head on sunlight which was seriously interfering (as were the heatwaves). But I think if you're there early morning before the heat kicks in, you might be able to read the a/c parked on the flightlines head-on.

Hickham AFB 14-08-2006
----------------------
C-5B 85-0010 60th MAW
C-5A 68-0214 433th AW/AFRes
KC-10A 79-0434? 305th AMW
C-40 USAF
C-130
KC-135R 60-0345? 940th ARW/AFRC
KC-135R
22nd ARW

KC-135 /ZZ 909th ARS
KC-135 62-3514/HH, +5
C-17A 05-5150/HH,05-5148/HH,05-5149/HH,05-5146/HH,05-5153/HHP-3
C-9B 160047 VMR-1
E-6B 164405 SCW-1
F-16C /WW
F-15A 76-0103/HH,76-0112/HH 154WG/199FS
F-16C 86-0266/FM
86-0267/FM
87-0259/FM 93rd FS "482 FW"
86-0265/FM 93rd FS "93 FS"

The 93rd FS was there for exercise "Cactus Aloha". Those were on the platforms east of the flightline with sheds.

Next stop was for me (I had only 5 hours of spotting that day) Barbers Point. It took me some time to find the Coast Guard (only military left). I convinced the guy at the gate that I wanted to speak to someone inside for a visit. So when I entered the hangars they couldn't refuse me. Some nice pictures of the C-130's on their platform and one H-65 outside. The rest was inside.

USCG Air Station Barbers Point 14-08-2006
-----------------------------------------
HC-130H 1701,1713,1714 US Coast Guard
HH-65B 6545 US Coast Guard
HH-65C 6505,6531,6538 US Coast Guard

Next stop was Kaneohe Bay. Difficult airfield with lots of time lost in searching the right place. He'eia State Park was the place where I was able to log the a/c below. You can have a look what the view is like at this photo: http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com ... 711016.jpg

MCAS Kaneohe Bay 14-08-2006
---------------------------
P-3C-II.5 (161335)/YD-335,(161337)/YD-337 VP-4
P-3C AIP (161764)/YD-764,(161766)/(YD)-766 VP-4
CH-53D (157733/YL-)46,(157176/YL-)52 HMH-362
CH-53D (157146/YZ-)06,(157137/YZ-)07,(157747/YZ-)16 HMH-363

That's it what I was able to do during one day. That is; 10AM landing, renting car, spotting, return rental en head back on th 4PM flight to Maui. I have to admit I could go there back anytime!

Have a nice stay and feel free to ask any additional questions.
dutchphantom
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: dutchphantom

Post by dutchphantom »

O‘ahu
Honolulu International Airport [HNL/PHNL]
This is an unofficial guide to aircraft spotting locations around the Honolulu International Airport (HNL). HNL RareBirds will not accept any responsibility for any conduct or actions taken by individuals (or groups) while engaging in planespotting and/or photography. Each person assumes responsibility for their own actions and conduct while engaging in aircraft spotting and/or photography around HNL (or any other Hawai‘i airport).

If you have a boarding pass, or are an arriving passenger on a domestic flight, HNL offers a few open air locations in the Main Terminal, between the three concourses, that offers clear views of aircraft. The Inter-Island Terminal's walkways have been enclosed with glass. Most of the gates also provide excellent viewing spots as well.

The Commuter Terminal has large windows facing the flight line, but ground support equipment may obstruct your photos. During the morning hours, it is possible to get photos of aircraft parked on the Elliott Street ramp. This terminal is slated to move to the Diamond Head end, in a few years as the Inter-Island Terminal will expand.

There are two locations on the southeast side of HNL, on Lagoon Drive, where spotting is possible. The first is at the extreme south end of Lagoon Drive, in the General Aviation parking lot. This location is excellent for watching traffic depart from the Runway 8R, “the Reef Runway”, and arrivals to both Runways 4L & 4R, during tradewind weather (which is 90-95% of the time). There is a fence to contend with, and standing on one’s car, or through the the sun roof, are ways to overcome that. Step-ladders are ill-advised.

The second location, a parking lot on Palekona Street, is a good location to watch Runway 22L departures, or Runway 4R arrivals.

The length of Lagoon Drive past Aolele Street is a No Parking Zone, none of the side streets, except Palekona Street and Kalewa Street have public parking.

It's not advised to do any spotting along Elliott Street as well, since the entire length of the street is a No Parking Zone.

Please do not encroach on any private property to do any spotting, unless you obtain their permission.

There are several times during the course of the year when the winds shift from the northeast tradewinds to the southwesterly “Kona” winds. When these winds occur, the traffic is reversed. Landing traffic will make their final approach abeam the world-famous Waikīkī Beach for both Runways 26L & 26R. Departing traffic will take-off west-bound from Runway 26L (heavy jet) & 26R (inter-island), or south-bound on Runway 22L (heavy jet). Runway 22R is primarily used for light aircraft.

The top floor of the Inter-Island Terminal’s parking structure offer great views of the ‘Ewa end of the main terminal. While the 6th level offers a view of the Inter-Island and Commuter Terminals. However, loitering is not advised.

Four Caveats
1) You may be subject to questioning, or an identification check by either deputies from the Hawai‘i State Sheriff's Department (the governing law enforcement agency of HNL), or by airport police officers from Securitas, the private security firm that also guards HNL, especially if they see you with any kind of camera in any of these spotting locations. Please be courteous, and cooperative with them, and comply.

2) If you plan an extended stay in Honolulu, you may want to contact the airport manager’s office to apply for a hobby photographers permit. It’s free, and it will allow you to take photos around HNL, as long it is for personal use, and non-commercial purposes.

3) The spotting locations can get quite warm and sunny, therefore, sunblock and drinks are strongly recommended. There are no public rest facilities, nor water fountains at either Lagoon Drive spotting locations. The nearest public lavatory is at Ke‘ehi Park, past the tennis courts. There are a number of take-out eateries along Nimitz Highway, Koapaka Street, and Ualena Street (between Lagoon Drive and Paiea Street). These locations also have little, or no shade areas. Do not litter. Also, alcohol consumption is prohibited.

4) It is recommended to have a rental car when spotting on the Lagoon Drive side of HNL. The municipal bus line, The Bus, no longer has bus service down Lagoon Drive. The nearest bus stop is along Nimitz Highway, or outside HNL's Main Terminal (Departure Level). Taxi fares can run as high as US$50 between Waikīkī and HNL, each way. There also are no pay phones in the area, so it is recommended that you carry a mobile phone.
Flanker
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Flanker »

thanks Jeroen & Dutchphantom.

will give it a try !!

rgds
Coert

Return to “Spotting Canada & USA”