Snapshots from Muscat (MIL)

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Snapshots from Muscat (MIL)

Post by ehusmann »

Here are a few snapshots taken during a short visit to Muscat, Oman. This was no spotting holiday, but I did want to take the chance to visit the Sultan's Fort Armed Forces Museum in Ruwi, part of Muscat. It is a small museum dedicated to the armed forces with also some air force exhibits. Every visitor gets a dedicated guide to explain everything. Our guide was a soldier serving in the Army on tanks. His main focus therefore was the army exhibits, but he was more than happy to show us the air force room as well. If you are lucky to get an Air Force guide you might get more info and maybe even some contacts into the Air Force.

The bigger exhibits are all outside, including the tanks, a patrol ship and all the planes. Only five planes and a helicopter, which are not all originals, but still interesting enough to walk an hour for in the 'not-even-so-very-hot-yet' heet.
(All serial information from the Scramble database)

SC.7 Skyvan 904:

Beaver AL.1 '213' (really XP824):

Provost Mk1 'XF868' (really WV494):

Hunter Mk73B 841 (ex KLu):

Strikemaster Mk82A 423:

AB.205 701 (according Scramble a fake composite frame):

After visiting the museum we walked to the corniche from where you can also see the harbour with, as I understood, sometimes visiting navy ships. The previous day there was nothing, but this day there was a naval vessel moored. Of course I started having wild visions of all the exotic ships with even more exotic helicopters on deck you could expect in a port like this.... but this is what I got:
Yes, uhm, the Hr Ms de Ruyter (F804)..... But it did have a helicopter on deck, NH-90 N227:
I have to be honest, it was a new one for me!

Erwin

P.S. Comments on pictures are of course welcome, but note that I am more interested in serials than getting the best shots :-)
Thermal
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F5

Re: Snapshots from Muscat (MIL)

Post by Thermal »

A N90 on deck , you don't see that too often at the moment since most of them spend their time in hangars being repaired. :twisted:
I always say a boy can learn more at an airport than at any school.
- Homer J Simpson -
Sven van Roij
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: Military & Helo's
Subscriber Scramble: Sven van Roij

Post by Sven van Roij »

Thermal wrote:A N90 on deck , you don't see that too often at the moment since most of them spend their time in hangars being repaired. :twisted:
:day:
Stratofreighter
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Stratofreighter »

Crizz wrote:Where did the pictures go?
Probably a temporary outage? At 22.11 hours I could (and still can) see all of Erwin's photos.
September 2024 update at FokkerNews.nl....
perry dirkx
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Subscriber Scramble: perry dirkx

Post by perry dirkx »

Thermal wrote:A N90 on deck , you don't see that too often at the moment since most of them spend their time in hangars being repaired. :twisted:
They probably needed the hangar for a party, so moved that thing outside. :bday:
Looks very professional, our Navy, with the Heineken flags at the flightdeck, when visiting a port in a islamitic country...... :?
Piet Luijken
Subscriber Scramble: Piet Luijken

Post by Piet Luijken »

Bahrain is less conservative than its neighbour Saudi Arabia and drinking beer is quite common especially for all the Saudi Arabians who visit Bahrain :-)
Greetings,

Piet Luijken
Scramble Editor
Rockville
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Rockville »

Piet Luijken wrote:Bahrain is less conservative than its neighbour Saudi Arabia and drinking beer is quite common especially for all the Saudi Arabians who visit Bahrain :-)
Are you confusing Bahrain with Oman? :wink:
Rockville
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Rockville »

perry dirkx wrote: They probably needed the hangar for a party, so moved that thing outside. :bday:
Looks very professional, our Navy, with the Heineken flags at the flightdeck, when visiting a port in a islamitic country...... :?
As a retired navy guy, who has served several times in the Gulf area, some remarks to clarify:
1. The ship is and remains Dutch territory;
2. When visiting ports in the Gulf area it's common toorganize a reception (RCP) on board for the dignitaries, often in cooperation with the Dutch MFA (MINBUZA);
3. The RCP will he held either on the flightdeck, or in the hangar. If held on the flightdeck the ship needs a tent;
4. Last but not least. You don't want to know how many liquor and snacks are served.

No offence to your posting, but just to clarify possible differences in opinion.
Piet Luijken
Subscriber Scramble: Piet Luijken

Post by Piet Luijken »

I have been drinking beer in public outings in both countries, Bahrain and Oman, in a similar relaxed way.
Greetings,

Piet Luijken
Scramble Editor
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by ehusmann »

You can indeed drink beer, at certain locations, in Oman. It is not completely forbidden like in Saudi Arabia, Iran and even some of the UAE emirates. However, this must have been the first public Heineken promotion in Oman, which I didn't notice while taking the picture. It is highly unusual to say the least and not very appropriate if you ask me.

Erwin

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”