Dinosaur Day at Wittmund (14 August 2012)

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Iwan Bogels
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Iwan Bogels

Dinosaur Day at Wittmund (14 August 2012)

Post by Iwan Bogels »

Hi Everybody,

This week a friend from Japan, a fellow aviation photographer, came to visit me. One of his goals was to see some of the last operational German F-4F Phantoms at Wittmund, Germany. We set out for Germany with my car on Monday evening and stayed overnight at only 1 mile from the airbase. Tradition has it that the QRA is launched just after 08:00 AM, so we made sure to get there in time.

The weather was fabulous for photography, and the day opened as expected. Two QRA F-4F Phantoms took off at 08:10 AM, shot by us from the middle of the runway. Just before they returned a pair of Flight Systems A-4N Skyhawks took off for a target towing mission over the Northsea. Two more Phantoms were launched for a morning sortie, including one with large special markings (on one side of the aircraft only). During the day a German Navy Sea King and Luftwaffe C-160D Transall visited Wittmund shortly.

Just after noon the QRA Phantoms launched again, catching us by surprise. Being in the wrong position for take off, we scrambled to half way the runway, only to miss take off by a lousy 30 seconds. Bummer ! At exactly 2:00 PM another pair of Phantoms took off, returning 75 minutes later. This time we set up in front of the runway in order to get some smoke shots.

Below is the photographic report of this day. When working on the photos I suddenly realized that all of today’s aircraft were at least 35 years of age. A true dinosaur day ! I hope you like the results as much as I do.

Cheers,
Iwan

Fox2 - for everything about low flying in Wales........and more !!

Gietje
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: If it's got wings and engines...
Subscriber Scramble: Gideon van Dijk

Re: Dinosaur Day at Wittmund (14 August 2012)

Post by Gietje »

Great shots Iwan, number one is simply a winner! ;)
Cheers,
Gideon
My photos at Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39101604@N08/
attila.szabo
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: ja

Post by attila.szabo »

No. 13 is WOW... and no. 2 is very nice because it is so typical and pure for a front view of a Phantom!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
grtz. Attila the Hun.

Nikonian
Photo58nl
bvdboomen
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F4

Post by bvdboomen »

Great light indeed Iwan. You did a good job with the different angles.
Lifeliner 3
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: Lifeliner 3

Post by Lifeliner 3 »

Very nice indeed!
Planning to go there next week (21st), hoping to return with results like this. At least it's good to know that there is still enough flight activity!
wvanbel
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F4, mostly military stuff...
Subscriber Scramble: Yes

Post by wvanbel »

Very nice set of the Dinosaurs! Great angles! I was there yesterday afternoon also. I hope I have something usefull as well, although I was there only for two hours, hence only on one spot.
Best regards,
Walter

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Best regards/vriendelijke groeten,
Walter

http://www.waltervanbelphotography.be/
ZeroOtto
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Subscriber Scramble: ZeroOtto

Post by ZeroOtto »

:worship: :respect: :worship:
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Indeed, everything comes together here: great light, great planes, great set of photos! :cheers:

"Dinosaurs never get old" :mrgreen:

Erik
What four words, Jimmy!?!
warthog64
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Nope
Location: Woudenberg. the Netherlands. 52O 05'02,5"N 5O 24'40,4"O

Post by warthog64 »

Key wrote:Indeed, everything comes together here: great light, great planes, great set of photos! :cheers:

"Dinosaurs never get old" :mrgreen:

Erik
Don't forget the photographer...
WH64
___│ØoØ│___
Some things up!
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Assuming you address the first line you quote: yes, that comma between planes and great should have been an arrow or something. Those were not meant to be three elements in a row but it looks like it now. Obvioulsy, it's Iwan who used the elements like they should be used, and we are not surprised about that. 8)

Erik
What four words, Jimmy!?!

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”