[MIL] EHLW Leeuwarden 04/07/2012 MiG-29 fuel stop

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
CoHaBa
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: Mil+Civ - Photography only
Subscriber Scramble: CoHaBa

[MIL] EHLW Leeuwarden 04/07/2012 MiG-29 fuel stop

Post by CoHaBa »

Strange day at Leeuwarden.

Due to birds take-off was runway 06 and recovery at runway 09. But ofcourse not for our Polish friends. Everybody was waiting at the 09 spot, they landed on 06...

local on short final 09

after a quick drive from 09 to 06 this was the best i could do...

and...smoke on... Take off! Have fun at Fairford!
Stratofreighter
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Re: [MIL] EHLW Leeuwarden 04/07/2012 MiG-29 fuel stop

Post by Stratofreighter »

The results are well worth that quick drive! 8)
Monthly updates on FokkerNews.nl....
Swifty2805
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Post by Swifty2805 »

Stratofreighter wrote:The results are well worth that quick drive! 8)
Haha, well they were pretty quick by the way! It took just 2 minutes when they were overhead the field turning to initial 06, after they reported at Rapcon north. I was just arrived at the spotters-place 09 :(

Anyhoe, it was a great day! Oh and by the way, Great pictures CoHaBa!
keystation
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie
Subscriber Scramble: keystation

Post by keystation »

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Interceptorsaurus
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: Interceptorsaurus

Post by Interceptorsaurus »

It was a good thing that traffic was light when all the cars rushed from 09 to 06!! The Migs were very quick to land after contacting Rapcon-N so I raced the car to the 06-side parkingspot along the main road to get the shots. First one came in nicely, the second Mig made a very high approach. Upon start-up after refueling the flightplan for Fairford was apparantly missing so the boys shut down their engines again while the revised flightplan was filed. Does a Mig29 engine overheat that easily without cooling wind/air? After abt 15 minutes or so all was arranged and they left Leeuwarden as Polish Airforce 202.

Ciao!

PolAF by Jos Hoogland, on Flickr
Hurricane
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: F4 + H5
Subscriber Scramble: Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Interceptorsaurus wrote:Upon start-up after refueling the flightplan for Fairford was apparantly missing so the boys shut down their engines again while the revised flightplan was filed. Does a Mig29 engine overheat that easily without cooling wind/air?
Cooling is no problem (the forward , horizontal inlets close to avoid FOD and two vertical inlets open) however given the fuel consumption of the engines this might be a bigger problem (as it was unclear how long the new FP might take shut down was the safest option).
Groeten,
Ron
Thermal
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F5

Post by Thermal »

Why is one engine exhaust more open than the other? Or has this to do with a somewhat unbalanced throttle movement by the pilot?
I always say a boy can learn more at an airport than at any school.
- Homer J Simpson -
Joe Kurr
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F4
Subscriber Scramble: Joe Kurr

Post by Joe Kurr »

Thermal wrote:
Why is one engine exhaust more open than the other? Or has this to do with a somewhat unbalanced throttle movement by the pilot?
Probably the latter.
I think he is compensating for crosswind or making a (rather weird) righthand correction, since he is also applying right rudder.
Interceptorsaurus
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: Interceptorsaurus

Post by Interceptorsaurus »

I have no idea. The second Fulcrum that came in had the same but the other engine nozzle was wide open shortly before touching down.
Stephan Lodewijks
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: I shall say this only once: (ex-)MILITARY!!!! :-)
Subscriber Scramble: Stephan Lodewijks

Post by Stephan Lodewijks »

I've seen Fulcrums do this during airshows also. The engines of the MiG.29 point slightly outward from each other. I think playing with the individual power of the engines is how the pilot neutralizes inward 'pushing'-energy from one of the engines. When, for instance, a Fulcrum makes a prolonged pass on its side during a solo demo, only the lower engine is used to power the aircraft, this avoids the upper engine from 'pushing' the aircraft down. At least, this is how I THINK it works...

Regards,

Stephan
CoHaBa
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: Mil+Civ - Photography only
Subscriber Scramble: CoHaBa

Post by CoHaBa »

When the MiG-29's made their fuel stop at Leeuwarden in 2011 the dual had the same nozzle setting as shown in Interceptorsaurus picture. So i think it's a MiG thing...

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”