Luftwaffenmuseum Gatow

ImageImageForum for all "old aircraft" related news, background, discussions and research.

Forum rules
ImageImageForum for all news, background, discussions and research on vintage aircraft, warbirds and wrecks & relics (stored, preserved, dumped etc). Actual logs -especially those of active airfields- are preferred to be posted in the appropriate Spotters forums.
MartinNeedham
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Luftwaffenmuseum Gatow

Post by MartinNeedham »

I'm off to Berlin in just over a week's time and am planning on visiting the Luftwaffenmuseum at Gatow. Has anyone from this forum visited Gatow before using public transport and would be able to help me out?

Through various google searches, I have found out that I need to catch a train to Rathaus Spandau(?) and from there get the 135 bus to the museum. Can someone confirm that this is right?

Also, does anyone know how often and at what times the buses set off from Rathaus Spandau?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Martin
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Re: Luftwaffenmuseum Gatow

Post by ehusmann »

Check: http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/index.html
It has got a map of the city and info (including planner) for all metro, tram and bus lines in Berlin. The map contains all the lines and Gatow is on there as well. I have not been to Gatow myself, but this site should get you all the pulic transport info you need.

Erwin
stipjes
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: nee

Post by stipjes »

MartinNeedham wrote:Has anyone from this forum visited Gatow before using public transport and would be able to help me out?

Through various google searches, I have found out that I need to catch a train to Rathaus Spandau(?) and from there get the 135 bus to the museum. Can someone confirm that this is right?
Hello Martin,

I was in the museum two weeks ago, its great! see the bottom of this document for the busses, http://www.luftwaffenmuseum.com/images/ ... nglish.pdf.
Greetz,

Patrick "Stipjes"
aviodromefriend
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: zo snel afgekeurd, ik kreeg geen kans S5 te worden

Post by aviodromefriend »

stipjes wrote:
MartinNeedham wrote:Has anyone from this forum visited Gatow before using public transport and would be able to help me out?

Hello Martin,

I was in the museum two weeks ago, its great! see the bottom of this document for the busses, http://www.luftwaffenmuseum.com/images/ ... nglish.pdf.
Mind: if you take the Express bus from Bahnhof Zoo (the what you can call former citycenter of West-Berlin), DO NOT LEAVE THAT BUS AT ALT-GATOW! I made that mistake in '04 while going to visit the Luftwaffenmuseum then. Although the name is very close to where you want to go, the museum is unreachable from where you are then (tried to walk it from there, am still gratefull someone gave me a lift back to the busstop to catch the next bus). From Alt-Kladow, as that pdf file stipjes linked to states, you can get the bus from there towards Rathaus Spandau. If you want to take the route via Rathaus Spandau, I would suggest you take the underground or U-Bahn as it is called in Germany instead of a train. Line U7 should terminate at Rathaus Spandau. (Hm. as a lot of machines shown in that pdf weren't there when I was there, I think I'll have to revisit this one. Nice extra to be planned around next ILA :) )
De Zamboni heeft kramp in zijn achterwiel
Jan Maarten Smeets, Heerenveen 31 oktober 2009
MartinNeedham
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Post by MartinNeedham »

Many thanks for the help, guys. It's very much appreciated.

I think I know where to go now!

Cheers,
Martin

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
wonju666
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: wonju666

Post by wonju666 »

I visited the museum July 13th, 2011. Hangar 7 has a new addition: T-37 (65-10)824/EN. The hangar was closed to the public but 824 is what I read off through the windows as its registration.
Copter
Subscriber Scramble: yes !

Post by Copter »

Confirmed. New resident since a few months.

Picture:
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1295406/

Return to “Vintage, warbirds and wrecks & relics”