Narita & Haneda 13-19 Feb. 2010

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
MikeRomeo
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: MikeRomeo

Narita & Haneda 13-19 Feb. 2010

Post by MikeRomeo »

Hello Everyone,

Last February I’ve traveled to Tokyo for 6 days of spotting. I flew with easyJet from Lisbon to Gatwick, changed to Heathrow, and then with SAS to Narita via Copenhagen.
This is my flight log for this trip:

11/2 LIS-LGW U28720 A320 G-TTOJ
12/2 LHR-CPH SK500 A319 OY-KBR
12/2 CPH- NRT SK983 A343 OY-KBA
19/2 NRT-CPH SK984 A343 OY-KBA
19/2 CPH-LHR SK1501 A319 OY-KBT
21/2 LGW-LIS U28719 A320 G-TTOH

It was my first flying with SAS and I liked their service on the long-haul flights with the cabin crew always busy serving drinks and making sure everyone was just fine. The only bad thing that happened was the departure from Copenhagen to Tokyo. The A340-300, OY-KBA, only managed to take-off at the 3rd attempt. First, we were on the holding point when the Captain said we had to return to the gate to solve a computer problem. Then we taxied again, and again at the holding point the problem that was thought to be solved came back. Engines were shut down, a mechanics crew came to the the aircraft to work on the problem and after about 2 hours of our original departure time we took off from Copenhagen inbound Tokyo.

Me and to friends, who flew BA, stayed at Tobu Narita Hotel. I think it was an excellent choice because there are at least 2 free shuttle buses to the airport every hour and the price was also very good. The weather was not very good. We did 5 days in Narita and from those there was only one where there was same Sun, but not during much time. On the last day, 18th, the weather forecast was good so we went to Haneda airport. On that day it was snowing like I had never seen before but at around 12 it started clearing up and that’s were I took must of my photos of this trip.

So let’s start with same info on Narita.
First here’s a map.

NRT has 4 runways (16R/34L and 16L/34R) and 2 terminals, 1 (red in the map) and 2 (blue). During my stay the 34’s were the most used. In 34L there are lot of foreign airlines and on 34R is used mostly by Chinese carriers, domestic stuff like the Ibex CRJ but also Austrian, Finnair and Alitalia. Mornings on T1 are slow until 8:30 with few landings but it’s quit busy around 12-13. You can photograph easily to the runway and taxiways through same holes in the fence, however views are more restricted on T2 due to the “U” shape of the apron, however you can get good shots of aircrafts approaching 34R. Both terraces are open from 7AM until 9PM and entrance is free.

Outside the airport only one spotting location was visited.

This place is excellent for 34L departures and arrivals and it’s closed to the Aviation Museum. To get there, take a bus that leaves from T2 on bus stand 13. Price is 400Y round-trip. After leaving the bus follow the route indicated on the map above, passing by the Museum. The blue point is good for line-ups and the green one is excellent for arrivals. Here’s a photo of the beautiful garden that overlooks the airport:

Sorry for the disappointment but these 3 the only photos that I’ve edited. Like I’ve said weather wasn’t good at all for me at Narita:

2 departures RWY 16R taken from the green spot.

And this JAL B737 was taken from T2:

Now Haneda.

The best way to go to Haneda is to take one of the many buses that depart from Narita. Journey takes a little bit more then 1 hour and round-trip price is 45€. Haneda has the same Runway configuration as Narita plus a third one located NW of the airport that I think it’s only used by military and perhaps bizjets. Both Terminals have great terraces again free entrance. Runway 34L is used for landings and 34R for departures although same landings may occur on this runway.
JAL and SkyMark use T1 and ANA and Hokkaido Intl use T2. The big problem of spotting from the terraces are, without any doubts, the APU’s. So many photos were deleted because of heat distortion, including ANA B767 retro…

And same photos:

Both airports terraces are simply amazing and makes planespotting is a very easy hobby. I think it’s very easy to get spoiled by such good conditions and maybe that’s why I keep hearing so many good stuff about this country. I have to go back same day soon to Japan, but not only Tokyo, but also other airports like the ones in Osaka for example.

Best regards

Rui
Rui Miguel - oblogdoruimiguel.blogspot.com
vuurwerkreeshof
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F5

Re: Narita & Haneda 13-19 Feb. 2010

Post by vuurwerkreeshof »

very nice selection :respect:
FlyTheWorld
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by FlyTheWorld »

Great report! Fantastic opportunities over there.

Grtz
Gietje
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: If it's got wings and engines...
Subscriber Scramble: Gideon van Dijk

Post by Gietje »

A nice collection you've captured there!
Cheers,
Gideon
My photos at Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39101604@N08/

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”