Short spotting trip. Suggestions??

ImageSocial talk and other non-aviation topics including photos. Note this a FUN area!

Forum rules
Shannon spotter
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: military

Short spotting trip. Suggestions??

Post by Shannon spotter »

Afternoon lads/lasses,

Later this year i was thinking of making a short spotting trip somewhere in europe. I'm looking for a shared military/civil airport the likes of Ryanair serve, ie. Krakow. I'm planing to fly in in the morning stay in the airport hotel and fly back the next day.

Any suggestions?????

Best regards,
Dirk.
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Re: Short spotting trip. Suggestions??

Post by ehusmann »

Pisa or Roma-Ciampino maybe in Italy?
Otherwise I would suggest Madrid. Madrid itself is not combined (although it does get military visit), but it is a very busy and interesting airport and plenty of military stuff nearby (Torrejon, Getafe, Cuatro Vientos, Colmenar Viejo). You can do it all in a day if you rent a car.

One that I myself still have planned for later this summer is Oslo. Not military again, but enough stuff there that you don't see very often outside if Norway.

Erwin
Shannon spotter
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Thanks Erwin, I did think of Spain and the UK but i'm still to young to hire a car in Europe :cry: so it would be hard to get around.
But thanks for the suggestions anyway.

regards,
Dirk.
Starman
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Starman

Post by Starman »

Hi Dirk,

Carless in Madrid is not a problem if you have the time. There is a bus from Barajas to Torrejon town, and from the same stop, a local bus to the shopping plaza at the western end of the runway. From here you have to walk about to get a better vantage point on part of the ramp, but active stuff is easy.
The Metro system runs from Barajas, and one change in MAD will get you to Cuatro Vientos, although it can also be done by bus from Principe Pio station. The bus stops by the museum entrance. Beware, the museum closes around 13.00 One can, and I have, walked round the base, but it's a good few hours!
Getafe is also accessible, this time by train from I don't remember which station, probably Atocha, you'd need to Google to make sure. If you take the train to I think the Industrial zone, this stops right by EADS from where you can walk up towards the base until things appear. Not sure if you can do CV to Getafe or VV without going back into town.
There is a very good 70Euro hotel in Barajas village called Hostel Vicky, but opposite the Vicky there is one that advertises about 35Euros a night, don't remember the name. You can walk to T1/2/3 from here if they do not have a shuttle (Vicky does).

Good luck!
jaah
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: Mostly military
Subscriber Scramble: jaah

Post by jaah »

ehusmann wrote:One that I myself still have planned for later this summer is Oslo. Not military again, but enough stuff there that you don't see very often outside if Norway.
Oslo-Gardermoen is a shared civil/military airport. It's home to the Norwegian C-130J's from 335 squadron.
Kind regards

Jonas
Shannon spotter
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Thanks lads,

Is there any such airports in the UK?
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: S5 - Military & Civil
Subscriber Scramble: Yep

Post by Hans »

Hi,

The only airport I can think of in the UK which fits your request is Prestwick, but this is only home to a (small?) detachment of Royal Navy Sea Kings. Don't think there are any other combined airfields in the UK.

Looking quickly at the destinations which Ryanair serves from Shannon, I think the only other airfield which has both a civil and a military presence, is Wroclaw in Poland.

Regards,

Hans

Edit: of course Treviso-Istrana in Italy is also a combined airfield ;-)
Shannon spotter
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Thanks, I had another thought. Take the ferry to holyhead, and drive up to RAF Valley. RAF Waddington, Cranwell and Coningsby are only 5 hours drive away to. I was thinking from Tuesday till Saturday should do me. Anyone do this before? If so what should i avoid or take in?

Regards,
Dirk.
Thijs
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: Thijs

Post by Thijs »

Did a few years ago the famous Mach Loop area Waddington (for the Indians) what I remember it was quite a drive, but once in the Waddo area Conningsby and Cranwell are very close.
Assume makes an ASS of U and ME.
planespotters.nl
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Military and F5+

Post by planespotters.nl »

I'm also searching for a mil spotting trip.
Not to expensive and with plane only for one or two days.
Im only 16 so i can't drive a car thats the reason why with a plane.

Kind Regards,
Sander
Canon EOS 30D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm F 3.5-5.6
Canon EF 70-200 F4.0 L IS USM (New!)
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II

Thijs
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: Thijs

Post by Thijs »

booked a few weeks ago a roundtrip Eindhoven - Bristol with Ryanair for 12 euro's for the Culdrose airshow. And if the weather won't be ok, I just don't go :wink: Hopefully I can do the full trip for less then 100 euro :D

Just subscribe to their newsletter and you will receive their advertisements in your digital mailbox.

Airshows are most of the time easy to reach by public transport. So look for a combination of a cheap flight, and a airshow nearby.

Another good suggestion is Brussels when their is a NATO Meeting or European Heads of State meeting. Brussels is easy to reach by public transport (train), and public transport (busses) around the airport are for free :wink: Most spotting places can be reached by public transport.
Assume makes an ASS of U and ME.
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: S5 - Military & Civil
Subscriber Scramble: Yep

Post by Hans »

Sander,

Depends a lot on what you still call "not to expensive", how much effort you are willing to put into more travel after you arrived by plane (eg. are you willing to travel another day by public transport before you reach your destination), which countries are off-limit for whatever reason, etc etc.
And last but not least, what are your personal interests; are you only into fighters or are transports also OK?

I think the best for you (and Dirk for that matter) is just to check the orbats for those countries you are willing to go to, make a priority-list of airfields, and than check the low cost carriers whether they fly to any airport nearby, instead of the other way around.

Regards,

Hans
planespotters.nl
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Military and F5+

Post by planespotters.nl »

Thanks for the tips guys!
I like both Hans fighters and transport!
Canon EOS 30D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm F 3.5-5.6
Canon EF 70-200 F4.0 L IS USM (New!)
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II

Boudewijn van Oirschot
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Wat niet?
Subscriber Scramble: Boudewijn van Oirschot

Post by Boudewijn van Oirschot »

Hans wrote:make a priority-list of airfields, and than check the low cost carriers whether they fly to any airport nearby, instead of the other way around.
This site may help you with an overview of low cost carriers carrying passenger from German, Belgian and even Dutch airports.. :wink:
Last edited by Boudewijn van Oirschot on 23 Jun 2009, 11:49, edited 3 times in total.
Lex
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Lex

Post by Lex »

Take a look over here for cheap travel. http://www.scramble.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tattle Lounge”