Basevisit Mildenhall and Lakenheath 24-02-2009

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
DJMikey
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Basevisit Mildenhall and Lakenheath 24-02-2009

Post by DJMikey »

Yesterday finally our basevisit at Mildenhall and Lakenheath took place. It was a fine day! Here are some pics. Quality of the pics isn't awesome, but considering the grey weather and the fact several of these pics were taken from a moving bus, through dirty and slightly darkened windows I think these aren't that bad at all. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks to Tracy, Teresa and Stacy for making this all possible.

The log and probably pics from other participants will follow soon.

Grt, Mike.
Last edited by DJMikey on 25 Feb 2009, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Schoenmaker
Vice-president / Activities / PR
KNVOL, region Noord-Brabant / Noord Limburg
jimmy van drunen
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Photographer

Re: Basevisit Mildenhall and Lakenheath 24-02-2009

Post by jimmy van drunen »

Great Shots! :lol:
Javindo50
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Javindo50 »

Well organized Mike, good for you that you could make it!

Gr,

Rob Martaré.

my pics at airfighters.com: http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=3423
nilsko
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: No

Post by nilsko »

Don't want to be over-critical but were the photo opportunities at both bases so limited that no ground shots were possible at Mildenhall or LN (you were mentioning pics being made from the bus and all..)? Or was the weather really being a pain in the ***?
nhoogenboom
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Yes

Post by nhoogenboom »

nilsko wrote:Don't want to be over-critical but were the photo opportunities at both bases so limited that no ground shots were possible at Mildenhall or LN (you were mentioning pics being made from the bus and all..)? Or was the weather really being a pain in the ***?
It was really grey whole day especially when we were at Mildenhall. While we were at Mildenhall two local KC-135s departed and were within a matter of seconds disappeared into the clouds. One other KC-135 (visitor) arrived during our tour in one of the KC-135. Almost all photos had to be made from a driving bus with colorcoated windows.
We were only outside while we visited the fire department (C-17 photo) and when we had our tour in the KC-135.

At Lakenheath we were only alloud to photograph one F-15 that was cleared by the Commander. We weren't allowed to photograph the rest of the flightline (22 F-15's).

Gr.Niels
NH Aviation Photography
----------------------------------------
"Als je me niet ziet zitten, dan ga ik wel staan"
warthog64
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Nope
Location: Woudenberg. the Netherlands. 52O 05'02,5"N 5O 24'40,4"O

Post by warthog64 »

At Lakenheath we were only alloud to photograph one F-15 that was cleared by the Commander. We weren't allowed to photograph the rest of the flightline (22 F-15's).

sounds very frustrating to me.....

although it's always nice to look around at an U.S. airbase..
WH64
___│ØoØ│___
Some things up!
Thermal
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F5

Post by Thermal »

Depsite the weather I think the pics came out realy nice.

A bit weird though that you are not allowed to photograph the flightline during a basevisit???? I thought that's what's base visits are for?

And take that Spit from it's pole and restore it so it can fly again. Especially these warbirds should be kept airworthy for as long is they can and not let them rot away on a pole. Damn shame to see it like that.
I always say a boy can learn more at an airport than at any school.
- Homer J Simpson -
Polecat
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Omnivore
Subscriber Scramble: Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Thermal wrote: And take that Spit from it's pole and restore it so it can fly again. Especially these warbirds should be kept airworthy for as long is they can and not let them rot away on a pole. Damn shame to see it like that.
...restoring plastic replica's to aitrworthy condition has always proved to be quite tricky..... :lol:
I have never drunk milk, and I never will . . . .
nilsko
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: No

Post by nilsko »

Thanx all for the feedback.. Too bad conditions were limited, but hey, sometimes you just have to make the best of it.. ;-)
I do know of other visits organised by KNVoL which were organised not with the spotter/photographer in mind, but more focussing on other aspects of airforces in general. Might serve some people, but not me.. Must've been very frsutrating to see all those pretty Eagles lined-up..
DJMikey
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by DJMikey »

I feel the need for some explination. Not to set things straight, to start a discussion or anything. Just to inform anyone who's interested.

As we all know KNVOL isn't a spottersassociation. Our members are interested in all aspects of aviation, not just (photographing) aircraft. Our/my goal with organising basevisits is therefor always to put in several aspects of an airforce or airbase. But ... because the aircraft are the mainbusiness, we/I always bear in mind to have visits where the flyingaspects are the main topic.

Of course, we/I always ask for sufficient photo-opportunities. But keep in mind that these days, especially on American airbases, regulations are very strict and therefor indeed like Nilsko said we have to make the best of any opportunity given. In this case those opportunities were plenty given. Luckily regulations weren't changed or tightened for any reason during the visit and our hosts did everything to make sure we had a great day. We are very gratefull! Considering the photo-opportunities please keep in mind though, that the tankers are and always will be parked all over Mildenhall in stead of lined up on one spot. For logistical and organisational reasons it wasn't possible to have a stop at every plane with a large group of 40 people (normally a visit there - if granted - can consist of max 15-20 people). Therefor most pictures were made from the bus. Still they did come out nice I think.

In the case of Lakenheath it was indeed a beautiful sight to see all the F15's parked in front of shelters or taxiing by. We all were almost like little children in a candystore. Too bad we couldn't take any pics in between the shelters and flightlines. But hey ... it isn't like we won't see F15's in the coming years. Yeah, it was a bit of a pitty but as always we honor the rules of our hosts as we all would do - hopefully - when we are visiting someone elses home. On the other side, like Roel mentioned, we did get to have a look where normally no one is allowed to and we did get to talk with the pilots who enthousiasticly explained everything we wanted to know.

We did make this happen for a large group, something I think no other group succeeded in. And, we were promised to have another visit in the future! Maybe the rules considering photography in the shelterarea at Lakenheath will change over time to lesser strict rules. Let's cross our fingers :wink:

Hopefully this explaines some things. To summon up: we had a great day!

For now, please :ontopic: and keep them pics of this day coming!

Grt, Mike.
Mike Schoenmaker
Vice-president / Activities / PR
KNVOL, region Noord-Brabant / Noord Limburg
patrick dirksen
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Mil & ex-mil, zowel nummers als platen!
Subscriber Scramble: patrick dirksen

Post by patrick dirksen »

Well explained Mike!
For me personally that's one of the mian reasons I don't join the visits too often anymore, but that's a personal choice. And to get back to topic: although it wasn't a "spotters tour", is there a list of noted aircraft available?
Cheers,

Patrick Dirksen
Tristar Aviation
Lex
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Lex

Post by Lex »

patrick dirksen wrote:Well explained Mike!
For me personally that's one of the mian reasons I don't join the visits too often anymore, but that's a personal choice. And to get back to topic: although it wasn't a "spotters tour", is there a list of noted aircraft available?
Patrick,

have a look in spotting Europe and then Mildenhall and Lakenheath.
A log is posted there.

Greetings
Hornet
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Post by Hornet »

Beautifull opportunity to get in there... and quite nice guates guards... :D

Thank you for sharing ! :wink:
Full afterburner and release the breaks...
http://www.lerx.net

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”